Sunday 9 December 2012

Nightmare Before Christmas Cupcakes

Time to start making Christmas!

     These rich chocolate cupcakes are topped with fondant that I painted using food colouring and a few drops of vodka. It was just like doing watercolours! Once they've dried, you can't taste the alcohol at all. 





Photo credits: Kelly Garsha


     I've painted scenes from everyone's favourite macabre children's holiday classic, The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993). Pictured above (clockwise) are Skeleton Jack's silhouette on a mountaintop, the Boogeyman,  Jack's ghost-dog Zero and a close-up of Skeleton Jack's face. As a small child, this movie was one of my earlier experiences with horror and dark comedy. I remember being captivated by the world of Halloween and all the creepy characters, stunning animation and catchy music. This might be a family-friendly film, but even today, as an adult, I find the scenes where Santa is mistreated to be incredibly disturbing. That's probably the only part I still don't like. I love Jack's hilariously misguided attempts to make Christmas, resulting in a hysterically funny and terrifying Christoween. If you haven't watched it in a while, I recommend putting it on again this season. It's as charming as ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment