Thursday 11 October 2012

Nosferatu Pfeffernüsse


     In celebration of Oktoberfest, I decided to create a German horror-dessert masterpiece.  I fused the delicious, gingerbread-like pfeffernuss cookie with one of the greatest German horror films: Nosferatu.  I pressed whole blanched almonds into the dough before baking, creating the pointed ears.  Once baked, I either coated the cookies in icing sugar or glazed them.  I liked how both techniques looked, for different reasons.  Next I piped some melted dark chocolate onto the face as shown, and attached the eyes and fangs, which were cut from marshmallows.  


"It will cost you sweat and tears, and perhaps... a little blood." - Tell me about it. Cutting marshmallows is hard work!  Thanks for the help, David.


I like their surprised expressions.


Photo credits: Kelly Garsha

     Nosferatu, eine Sinphonie des Grauens or Nosferatu: A Symphony of Terror (1922) is a classic of German Expressionism, directed by F.W. Murnau and starring Max Schreck.  It is an unofficial adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel Dracula, but names have been changed to protect the undead (a.k.a. the studio couldn't get the rights to the novel).  The film was very influential for the vampire sub-genre.  You might be wondering though, what does a 90 year-old vampire movie look like today?  A bit dull, a bit confusing, a bit unintentionally funny.  Graf Orlok, however, still looks great in film and cookie form, if I may say so myself.  You might put it on in the background at a get-together, if your friends are as geeky as mine are.  And don't forget: everything's more pfun with pfeffernüsse! 



Guten Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment