Wednesday 13 February 2013

28 Days Later Cupcakes

Feeling enraged? Here, have a cupcake...

     These are your standard infected chocolate cupcakes, dipped in red glaze and topped with rage-eyes and biohazard symbols made out of half-and-half (fondant + gum paste). To make the biohazard symbols, I consulted Zilly Rosen's book Zombie Cupcakes, an excellent resource if, like me, you prefer your desserts undead.







Photo credits: Kelly Garsha

     These cupcakes were inspired by a film that I hold very close to my heart. I'm talking, of course, about Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later (2002), one of the best "zombie" movies of this century. Every time I re-watch it, I find I like it more. The story is imaginative, detailed, and tragically human, not to mention scary as hell. Just thinking about the infected with their frantic yet absent expressions makes me want to barricade the doors and  windows. It's not all-killing-all-the-time, though. Boyle carefully balances the moments of boredom and terror that make up any apocalyptic tale worth its salt... or sugar, in this case. 




"Mmmmmm... Irradiated!" 

Do you like zombie movies? Then you'll want to check out my Dawn of the Gingerdead Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment